Blueberry and Lemon Breakfast Bars
Nourishing (and yummy!) breakfast bars – the perfect enticement to leave warm cozy beds on cold winter mornings. True to style, they are gluten free, vegan, and super simple to prepare. Enjoy!
- 1 cup quinoa flour, teff flour, or almond meal
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- ½ cup chia seeds (or 1 cup chia gel)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup organic currants or raisins
- 1 lemon, lightly peeled (peeled with some rind left on) – save the rest of the rind for icing!
- 2 thumbs ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp Himalayan salt – a large pinch!
- ½ cup maple syrup, coconut sugar, or rice malt (or to desired sweetness)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sprinkle of coconut sugar (optional)
Preset oven to 350°F
Blend lemon and ginger with coconut oil, vanilla and maple syrup (and a dash of water) for around 1 minute.
Pour into a large mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix!
Grease baking tray with coconut oil (or use baking paper), add ingredients, sprinkle with coconut sugar (optional), and bake for 20 minutes.
- ¾ cup raw cashews (if you have a nut allergy, you can replace with 1 avocado)
- 1 thumb ginger
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon rind
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Blend ingredients with a dash of water for about 1 minute to create a creamy consistency – if it feels too watery, simply add more cashews or avocado.
Remove tray from oven, allow to cool down, then decorate with icing. Sprinkle with some grated lemon rind, or anything else you fancy, slice and enjoy!
Remember, cooking should be fun – there’s no right or wrong, just play!