Carob Paleo Waffles !
Quick and easy -- plus you cannot go too wrong on this recipe, so relax. Make a cup of strong coffee and just enjoy the process!
- 1 cup of teff flour (or quinoa/spelt/coconut flour)
- 1 cup of almond meal
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- 1/2 cup nut mylk (I went with almond)
- 2 tbsp carob powder (or cacao)
- 1 tsp aluminium-free baking power
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- pinch Himalayan salt
1. Turn on your waffle maker and let it heat up! (you want it to reach medium heat)
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients first -- then in a separate bowl beat the eggs, mylk and melted coconut oil or butter -- combine with the dry ingredients and mix again until you form a thick consistency. (It MAY feel a little thick and crumbly-- but that's all ok, just add a little extra mylk as needed!)
3. Fill the waffle iron with the batter according to the iron instructions-- being careful not to overfill!
4. Cook until steam stops rising and the light goes green (or according to the type of waffle iron you own!)
5. Repeat until all the batter/dough is used up (side note: I place each cooked waffle in the oven on low heat to keep warm while I'm finishing up cooking the rest of the waffles-- plus it's at this point I pour another cup of coffee!)
6. Serve with your favourite toppings! Can be served savoury or sweet -- I went with my Dad's rhubarb compote, hemp seeds, chia seeds and coconut -- plus a little maple syrup! Delish!
[PS. -- if you prefer your waffles to be on the sweeter side-- add 2-3 tbsp maple or coconut sugar to the recipe] xo