Paleo Hot Cross 'Buns' with Turmeric & Ginger
Does anyone else drool when they see fresh hot crossed buns? I do I do I do! Luckily (for me at least!) the web has some incredible healthy recipe options to choose from ! This one is inspired by Sarah Wilson's recipe. I think it's a great recipe and very simple to follow (I hate following recipes, so I like it when I find one that's simple/fool proof -- and gets the creative juices going in the kitchen without too much error!). Enjoy! xo
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 cup of organic currents
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- pinch black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted.
- 1 - 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup [optional] -- I used 1 tbsp + 2 drops stevia
- juice of half a lemon plus zest
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180ºC / 350ºF and line baking tray with baking paper
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, with vanilla, melted coconut oil and rice malt (or sweetener of choice)
- Combine mixtures and mix well! Roll out into mini buns -- makes about 12!
- To make crosses (and this bit was the hardest honestly!)
- whisk egg whites and desiccated coconut. Drizzle over unbaked 'buns' in a cross shape with a teaspoon and your fingers if that's easiest! (again... this step wasn't easy for me!)
- Bake for around 20 minutes.
- Happy Noshing XO
Based on I Quit Sugar's Paleo Hot Crossed Buns <3